HEALTH & SAFETY MEASURES
Our priority is the health and safety of our guests and crew
MSC Cruises is offering a safe and stress-free holiday option for you and your loved ones.
Embarking on an MSC cruise ship is like entering in a safe bubble thanks to our stringent.
MSC Cruises Health & Safety Protocol. The below measures are applicable to sailings in the upcoming months.
travel requirements by destinationPlease select your cruise destination below
How we protect your health & safety
before, during and after your cruise
the ONBOARD EXPERIENCEWe are committed to preserving the uniqueness of the onboard experience whilst ensuring that your health and safety are protected. You will continue to enjoy unique experiences including award-winning shows, world-class dining, excursions, family activities, boutique shopping, beauty and fitness services, engaging events and much more. Onboard services are subject to changes based on local regulations or other restrictions, in the context of the COVID-19 situation
We prepared a list of Frequent Asked Quesions (FAQ) to quickly get answers to you for the most common questions
- Are there any travel restrictions under the new protocol, such as current health status, past medical history or age?
Discover in protected excursions: To go ashore during your cruise, we highly recommend you to participate in one of our MSC Shore Excursions to ensure the same high standards of health and safety ashore as on board. Not all destinations allow independent disembarkation and it may depend on the traveller’s vaccination status.
Some excursions will require the EU digital COVID certificate (Green pass) or, from extra Schengen countries travelers, the equivalent Covid certificate.
More information on the FAQ section.
- Are there any travel restrictions or travel requirements for the current cruise programme?
- What is the MSC Covid-19 Protection Plan?
With immediate effect, for all new reservations on Winter 21/22 cruises. Guests will be required to provide evidence of their insurance policy and this should include the details of the insurer, the insured amounts and full details of the COVID-19 coverage such as cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and expenses, and hospitalization.
The proof of the insurance policy (e.g. certificate, schedule, policy summary) which must be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish - clearly showing the COVID-19 coverage - must be presented at embarkation. Passengers failing to provide this documentation will be denied boarding.
For any additional information please refer to our Contact Center or consult your Travel Agent.
EMBARKATION / DISEMBARKATION
- Is it possible to get tested during the cruise to comply with regulations from my travel back home?
The molecular test will be charged 80 euros. The tests will be organized to comply with the 48h or 72h test validity to return to your country according to your national regulations. The antigenic test is always available for 25 euros. These tests do not substitute the complimentary covid tests performed on board to comply with our comprehensive health and safety protocol.
- What will happen if embarkation is denied to a guest for health reasons?
If a guest is then not considered fit to travel, they will be assisted in their next steps of a return home or will be potentially being treated in a local medical facility to ensure maximum support and care.
- What safety protocols will be implemented on transfers and shuttles?
We are extending our enhanced health and hygiene measures to all MSC transfers, including:
- Cleaning and sanitisation of all vehicles before any new group of guests
- Availability of hand sanitisation stations and disinfectant mats for footwear
- Appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) for all drivers
- Reduced number of guests with selected seats empty to ensure social distancing
- How are you cleaning and sanitising the guest cabins?
Every cabin will be deep cleaned at the end of each cruise before the next guests arrive for their holiday.
- How often are you sanitising public areas?
- What measures are you taking for the disembarkation process at the end of a cruise?
Boarding for the next sailing will only commence once all guests have disembarked, avoiding any cross-over.
- How will the check-in take place?
ONBOARD MEDICAL SERVICES
- What happens if there is a suspected case of COVID-19 on board?
In case of flu-like symptoms, guests should notify immediately the Medical Centre and free treatment will be provided. If the onboard medical team determines a suspected COVID-19 case, a comprehensive isolation procedure and response plan will be activated in close cooperation with the health authorities.
- Have you agreed with specific ports that they will welcome your ships that have positive cases on board for medical assistance ashore?
- Do you have certified COVID-19 tests on board your ships?
- How the health of anyone on board is monitored?
All MSC Cruises’ ships are equipped with state-of-the-art medical services and an increased number of qualified medical staff onboard, supported by dedicated 24/7 ashore Medical Team. We continuously monitor the health of our guests and crew with contactless temperature checks during the cruise; in case of flu-like symptoms, guests should immediately notify the Medical Centre and free treatment will be provided.
For all sailings in the upcoming months, guests may need to undergo an additional swab test during the cruise whilst on board, on top of the existing pre-boarding COVID-19 testing. When required, the test is mandatory.
- Will social distancing rules be applied onboard?
DINE & DRINK
- How will the Main Dining experience change?
Face masks do not need to be worn by our guests when seated in the restaurants, but only when entering the venue.
- Will the self-service at buffet be available?
- Will there be any changes to the bars and lounges?
- How I can prebook my drinks or restaurants onboard?
- How I can get the restaurants and drinks menu at bars and restaurants?
EXCURSIONS, ENTERTAINMENT & SERVICES
- Will guests still be able to enjoy the theatre shows and other activities?
- We are reducing the capacity of the theatre to allow for empty seats between guests
- The entertainment programme will be extended so that all guests can enjoy our award-winning shows
- Shows and activities will be pre-booked to manage the number of participants
- Guests will be required to wear a face mask when in the theatre
- Will the Kids Club be open and what kind of kids’ activities will be available?
New measures include reduced capacity, a streamlined registration process, contactless temperature check and hand sanitizer provided upon entry. We're adding new exciting activities and family game shows that will be available for booking up to one day in advance. Toys and water will be provided by our staff, while we'll keep out personal belongings as an additional safety measure.
Onboard services are subject to changes based on local regulations or other restrictions, in the context of the COVID-19 situation. Please note MSC Babycare (dedicated to babies and toddlers under 3 years old) won’t be temporarily available onboard our ships.
- Will you still have Spa and Fitness services available to guests?
Fitness machines and equipment, spa areas and treatment rooms will be thoroughly sanitised after each use as well as deep-cleaned and disinfected every night.
All Spa staff have been trained on rigorous health and sanitation measures and will wear appropriate protective equipment.
Book now your Spa Packages!
*Depending on ship-class, the following experiences will be closed until further notice: Saunas, Steam Rooms, Heat Baths Whirlpools, Ice & Snow Experiences. Salt Relax Room, Harmonic Relax Rooms, Experience Showers, Heated Loungers will remain open to our guests.
- Will guests be able to use the casino?
- Will there be any restrictions to visit some ports?
Guests who are fully vaccinated will be able to go ashore independently and will need to follow the requirements of going ashore according to the countries they will visit. To go ashore during the cruise, MSC Cruises highly recommends to participate in one of or MSC Shore Excursions to ensure the same high standards of health and safety ashore as on board. Not all destinations allow independent disembarkation and it may depend on the traveller’s vaccination status. Guests that are not fully vaccinated will not be allowed to go ashore unless they purchase an MSC Excursion. Those Guests who are not fully vaccinated or who have children in their travelling party, will need to go ashore with an MSC Excursion. For example: A family of four, two adults and two children under 11 years old: All guests will be required to participate in an MSC Excursion for not fully vaccinated guests.
For cruises in the Mediterranean it will be possible to go ashore only by participating in one of the MSC Shore Excursions to ensure the same high standards of health and safety ashore as on board.
MSC Cruises offers a large variety of shore excursions. Some excursions are available only to Guests holding the EU Digital Covid Certificate/Green pass or, from extra Schengen countries Travelers, the equivalent COVID certificate, while other excursions are open to those not in its possession, guaranteeing in both cases the highest health and safety standards. More information about the tours are available here. Please note that Guests holding the EU Digital COVID Certificate/Green pass or the equivalent COVID certificate (such as the NHS certificate*), travelling with children over 12 years who do not hold an EU Digital COVID Certificate/Green card or the equivalent COVID certificate (for extra Schengen countries Travelers), will be considered as Guests not holding the EU Digital COVID Certificate/Green pass or the equivalent COVID certificate (for extra Schengen countries Travelers), for excursions purposes: children will be requested to do the free covid test on board to participate to the excursion (or the booked excursion will need to be changed for another tour not requiring the green pass).
*Please note that the vaccination appointment card would not be considered sufficient proof.